News

Myanmar earthquake: the victim’s balance rises to more than 1,000 while the search for survivors continues | Myanmar


The financial statements of the victims from A Huge earthquake that hit Myanmar He has reached more than 1,000, while the rescuers dig through the rubble of buildings collapsed in a desperate search for survivors.

The 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck north-west of the city of sagaing in the center Myanmar In the early afternoon, followed a few minutes later by a shock of settlement of magnitude 6.7.

The earthquake destroyed buildingsRaised bridges and streets with buckle through the Myanmar bands, with serious damage reported in the second largest city, Mandalay.

The dominant junta declared in a declaration on Saturday 1,002 people were confirmed death and 2,376 injured, with most of the dead in Mandalay. The statement suggested that the numbers could still increase, saying that “detailed figures are still being collected”.

A resident transports objects next to a damaged building in the capital of Myanmar, Naypyidaw, after the earthquake. Photography: you know Aung Main/Afp/Getty Images

In the neighbors ThailandThat they also felt tremors, the authorities of the city of Bangkok have said that so far six people have been found dead, 26 injured and 47 missing, most of a construction site near the famous chatuchak market in the capital, where a skyscraper collapsed. Previous statements had said that 10 were confirmed dead and about 100 are missing.

With the communications seriously interrupted in Myanmar, the real scale of the disaster has not yet emerged from the isolated and reduced state and the toll will be expected to increase significantly.

It was the largest earthquake to hit Myanmar in over a century, in our opinion geologists, and tremors were powerful enough to seriously damage the buildings through Bangkok, hundreds of kilometers (miles) distance from the epicenter.

The rescuers in the Thai capital worked all night in search of workers trapped when a 30 -storey skyscraper under construction collapsed, reduced in a few seconds to a pile of rubble and metal twisted by the strength of tremory.

The authorities of the city of Bangkok have declared that they will distribute more than 100 engineers to inspect the safety buildings after receiving over 2,000 reports of damage.

The site of a skyscraper under construction that collapsed in Bangkok, Thailand, from the Myanmar earthquake. Photography: AFP/Getty images

Although there was no widespread destruction, the agitation brought some dramatic images of swimming pools on the roof that have slid their content along the side of many of the towering condominiums and hotels in the city.

The hospitals were also evacuated, with a woman who delivered her child outdoors after being transferred by a hospital building. A surgeon also continued to operate on a patient after evacuation, completing the operation outside, he told AFP a spokesperson.

But the worst of the damage was in Myanmar, where Four years of civil war Driven by a military coup dumped the health and emergency response systems.

Map showing the position of the earthquake

The head of the junta Min Aung Hlaing has issued an exceptionally rare appeal for international aid, indicating the severity of calamity. Previous military regimes have avoided foreign assistance even after the main natural catastrophes.

The country declared the state of emergency through the six worst regions after the earthquake and in a large hospital in the capital, Naypyidaw, the doctors were forced to treat the wounded in the open air.

An official described him as a “area of ​​mass victims”.

Mandalay, a city of over 1.7 million people, seemed to have been seriously affected. The photos showed dozens of buildings reduced to rubble.

A rescuer of Amarapura, an ancient city and now a municipality of Mandalay, said that the bodies of 30 people have been recovered by collapsed multi -educational condominiums.

“I have never experienced anything like this before: our city looks like a collapsed city,” he said, estimating that about a fifth of the buildings had been destroyed.

A man looks at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda in Mandalay after the earthquake. Photography: EPA

A resident reached by phone told AFP that a hospital and a hotel had been destroyed and said the city was seriously lacking in rescue staff.

Another witness to Mandalay, who asked not to be appointed, said that eight people had been killed and that others feared that they were trapped after the collapse of a construction building in the municipality of Pyigyitagon.

“The entire city of Mandalay was hit by the earthquake. The rescue teams and hospitals are now invaded. We are managing the resources we have in the neighborhood,” they said.

The images published by Khit Thit Media, a press agency based in Myanmar, showed bricks and rubble batteries outside a damaged mosque, also in Mandalay. At least 20 people had died there, he reported, although it was not possible to check this figure.

A huge row of buses and trucks aligned with a checkpoint to enter Naypyidaw on Saturday.

Foreign assistance offers began, with President Donald Trump on Friday who promised us help.

“It’s terrible,” Trump said to journalists in the oval office for the earthquake when he was asked if he would have responded to the use of the military sovereigns of Myanmar.

“He is really bad and we will help us. We have already talked to the country.”

India, France and the European Union have offered to provide assistance, while the WHO said that it was mobilizing to prepare supplies of injuries on the trauma. Chinese President Xi Jinping has extended condolences, according to reports from the state media.

Agence France-Presse and Reuters have contributed to this relationship



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button