News

Offensive tweet on Alex Greenwich set up to cost Mark Latham more than $ 500,000


The former leader of the nation of the new South Wales, Mark Latham, is hooked for about half a million dollars in legal expenses for a defamatory tweet on the deputy of Sydney Alex Greenwich.

In a decision of last year, the Federal Court assigned to Greenwich $ 140,000 in damages for a highly graphic and offensive comment published on Twitter, now X, in March 2023.

Sydney's parliamentarian Alex Greenwich (left) and Mark Latham.

Sydney’s parliamentarian Alex Greenwich (left) and Mark Latham.Credit: Dominic Lorrimer

Greenwich’s lawyer, dr. Matt Collins, KC, told the Court that the tweet, which described sexual activity in graphic and offensive terms The Sydney Morning Herald He chose not to publish, he was a “vile homophobic attack” on openly gay greenwich.

The judge of the Federal Court David O’Callaghan Friday tidy Latham to pay Greenwich’s legal expenses for the case of defamation on the ordinary basis, which translates into the success part that recovers about 70 % of their bills. The costs of Sydney’s deputy have been estimated at over $ 600,000.

The parties had engaged in a long legal struggle for the costs following the sentence of last year, since Latham resisted most of the Greenwich costs.

The Latham legal team had presented that it should have been ordered to pay only a quarter of Greenwich expenses on a party basis because Greenwich had not succeeded in every part of his case.

O’Callaghan found the subsequent comments by Latham a The Daily Telegraphwho also made part of the cause, did not transmit the defamatory meanings that Greenwich.

But Collins said that “Mr. Latham failed overwhelmingly in this case” and was not “the winner of the three quarters”.

O’Callaghan said that Collins presentations “are irresistible and must be accepted”.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button