Sport

Soccerere Us, NWSL sees the women’s world 2031 as “catalyst” for the growth and expansion of the League


Los Angeles – The United States have not yet formally won the offer to host the 2031 women’s World Cup, but various figures of the United States Federation and NWSL are already looking for six years in advance to exploit the power to host the tournament.

“It gives us something to work on that we know that from history it can change the level of interest in women’s football,” said Commissioner NWSL Jessica Berman Atletico Before the American women’s women’s team faces Brazil on Saturday, a revenge of the gold medal match of the 2024 Olympics.

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino said Thursday That the United States presented the only “valid offer” to host tournament 2031 before the expiry of the government body. FIFA subsequently announced that the United States presented a joint offer with “other members of Concacaf members (to be confirmed in due course)”.

The longest catwalk allows a significant planning time, in particular with the potential to build the hospitation of the 2026 male World Cup together with Mexico and Canada and the Los Angeles Olympics of 2028.

The United States football CEO JT Batson stressed that the offer includes the growth of the game throughout the region through the participation of Concacaf and indicated the announcement on Friday of the owner of Washington Spirit Michele Kang doubled by his investment In US football with a contribution of $ 25 million. Batson said this will allow the Federation to be better prepared for 2031.

“Your ability to use the World Cup as a catalyst is first, not after,” Batson said. “So, starting at the beginning, it’s something we’re really enthusiastic about.”


Michele Kang with the United States football CEO Jt Batson. (Mike Lawrence / Getty Images for USSF)

The details on what the offer includes are thin, with Mexico absent on paper after their previous co-conductor bill from the 2027 offer process. However, Batson defined the United States as a “conductor” rather than a guest. Many of the details, he said, depend on the tournament potentially expanding to an effort to 48 teams, who said it is something for which US football was “passionate supporters”.

“We think it would be incredible to grow the female game,” Batson told journalists on Friday.

“One of the things we hear from the people who guide federations all over the world is that they see the women’s World Cup as an opportunity for them to 1. Make a World Cup and 2., they really go in competition in a way they would not be able to do on the side of men,” Batson said. With the president of American football Cindy Parlow Cone now a member of the FIFA Council, is another possibility for the federation to support the expansion of the tournament.

In addition to us football, the NWSL benefits from the third women’s world cup on the ground ground – and the first with a professional alloy capable of exploiting the tournament Bump.

“We hope this will be a catalyst for many cities,” said Kang, whose spirit of Washington was a finalist beaten in the NWSL last year, following the top of Shebelieves in a small round media table. “Also from an infrastructure point of view, I am trying to convince our area that the World Cup is coming and Washington, DC could be the center of women’s football, not only the government and political power. We are trying to use it as an opportunity to expand the presence and bring women’s football exactly to the mainstream.”

Julie Uhrman, CEO and co-founder of Angel City, was enthusiastic about what hosting the World Cup could offer all the levels of this sport.

“It’s more visibility for women’s football, it is more access to see incredible athletes,” said Uhrman. “So the idea that most of them play in the NWSL and you can continue to see them every single month after the World Cup, it is a huge opportunity, not only for the League but to grow sport from the basic level to the professional level.”

The existing and potential NWSL markets benefit from six years later, a panorama that Berman has aspirations to expand to the NFL.

With Denver AND Boston Entering the championship in 2026 before the male World Cup, there are no signs that the NWSL will stop here. Berman said that while the expansion plans have been based on the League business, a 2031 World Cup in the United States could provide an additional filter for the League to be considered.

“I am very confident that our expansion will continue between today, so this will certainly give us even more reasons to be bullish on our expansion plan,” said Berman. “Seeing how the country reacts to the male World Cup will be really important next year. We are already working closely with FIFA and host committees, even if it is the male world cup, to capitalize on the fact of being here. Through this, we can formulate a plan that will take us through 2031”.

(Photo above: Alex Grimm / Getty Images)



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button