Business

Some industries may be spared from next round of U.S. tariffs despite Trump threats


It seems that some key industries facing the threat of new US tariffs can be spared from the next blow of President Donald Trump in his global commercial war – at least for the moment.

Speaking in the background, an official of the White House told the CBC News that, despite Trump’s repeated threats on the specific rates in the sector, they may not actually happen next month.

“Obviously Potus spoke a lot about the sectoral rates, but we could have sectoral rates on April 2nd and we could not,” said the official in one and -mail.

“No final decisions have yet been made on the sectoral rates that are attached to mutual for the time sequence of April 2.”

The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg News reported the potential change to Trump’s tariff plans for the first time.

This type of language is in line with the unpredictable nature of the decisions of the Trump administration on trade.

Trump should introduce mutual rates on April 2, who claimed that he is based on equity: if a country has rates on US goods, he will be targeted. Or if a country has economic policies or commercial barriers that the Trump administration considers American companies and workers unjust, it could also be affected.

Trump officials told Canada that it will be hit by mutual rates, even if it is not clear what that tariff rate will be.

But Trump also spent weeks warning that he would also impose specific tariffs in the sector using the same temporal sequence, also for the automotive sector.

Watch | The liberal leader Mark Carney on Canada preparations for the rates of April 2nd:

Carryy asked to talk to Trump, preparing for the rates of April 2nd

The liberal leader Mark Carryy, speaking while he made a campaign in Terranova on Monday, said that his government is ready with further potential retaliation rates, as well as measures to support workers and affected companies. Carney said that the American administration thinks she can weaken – or even possess – a notion that has rejected, saying that “we will become stronger”.

For example, Trump declared in February that he intended to impose car rates “in the 25 %district” and similar tasks on semiconductors and pharmaceutical imports, but later he agreed to delay some car rates after a thrust of the three major US car manufacturers for a renunciation.

The new comment of the White House on Monday suggests that it may not be the case after all.

The offensive of Trump’s swirling rates since his inauguration of January has been marked with threats, reversals and delays, sometimes a few hours after the deadlines of taxation.

So far, it has imposed new duties of 20 % on Chinese imports, has completely restored 25 % on important steel and aluminum imports and has slapped the rates of 25 % on imports from Canada and Mexico that do not respect a North American commercial agreement, connecting them to the Overdose crisis of the US Fenstanile.

Two high Trump officials of Treasury Secretary Scott Besent and the best economic adviser of the White House Kevin Hasset-have declared last week that the administration should concentrate the long-awaited mutual tariff announcement of April 2 on a more narrowed series of countries with the largest commercial surpluses and the high tariffs and non-tariff tariffs.

As a question on the track of the campaign on Monday like Canada is preparing for the next rates, Mark Carryy said that the liberal government is ready to introduce a second round of $ 125 billion value of $ 125 billion, in addition to Those who have received $ 30 billion of American goods At the beginning of this month.

He also said Ottawa remains concentrated Support Canadian workers and businesses This will be influenced by Trump’s commercial war.

“See, this is a fundamental mistake that the Americans are making. They think they will weaken us … they think they can possess us, frankly,” said Carney, referring to that of Trump State comments often repeated.

“We will become stronger; we will wait for this. They will come to the table and embark on a good deal for the Canadians.”

Carney also noticed He did not talk to the President of the United States Since it came into office last week.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button