Business

Stellantis assembly plant in Windsor, Ont., to be down for 2 weeks as auto tariffs kick in


The Windsor assembly plant will be down with workers outside the work for two weeks starting from Monday, Unifor Local 444 announced on Wednesday evening.

The plant will drop in the weeks of 7 and 14 April – and in a post on social media, the union has warned more changes to the program “scheduled in the coming weeks”.

“While we had heard voices on potential inactivity times, the company said that there are several factors at stake, with the main driver behind the final decision that was the announcement of this afternoon by the President of the United States Donald Trump of the US rates,” said the union in the Facebook post.

“This has and continues to create uncertainty throughout the automotive industry. This is not just influencing our plant, but also has impact structures in the United States and Mexico.”

It was not possible to immediately reach a representative of the company for a comment.

Last Wednesday, Trump announced large rates on a wide range of countries. And while Canada was spared from any new rate, the car rates announced by the president last week entered into force on Thursday.

These rates are expected to apply on the value of non -American content in vehicles. But the imported parties pursuant to the US-Messic (Cusma) agreement of Canada-United will remain without rates, for now.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button