Business

Trump Campaign Aide Chris LaCivita Sues The Daily Beast for Defamation


One of the former managers of the campaign of President Trump, Chris Lacivita, on Monday fought a cause for defamation against the Daily beast for his relationships on what was paid by the campaign.

The case, intended at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, accuses the daily beast of creating “the false impression that Mr. Lacivita was personally benefiting from his work on the countryside and that he was giving priority to personal profit on the success of the campaign”.

It focuses on a item Published on October 15, 2024, with the title: “Trump in Cash Crisis, such as the salary of $ 22 million in the head of the campaign”. The article was written by Michael Iisikoff, a freelance journalist, who was not appointed accused in the cause.

The article stated that Mr. Lacivita, a manager of the Campaign for the re -election of Mr. Trump had negotiated a series of contracts and that millions of dollars had been paid for two years since the countryside. The accusations were repeated in numerous follow-up articles and discussed on a daily podcast.

According to the complaint, the lawyers of Lacivita on November 5 requested a correction and retraction, saying that the public documents of the Federal Electoral Commission are in conflict with the declarations in the article.

The Daily beast corrected her article a few days after the question by modifying the amount at $ 19.2 million from $ 22 million and clarified that the funds went to the consultancy firm of Mr. Lacivita rather than personally. The title was modified and the note of a publisher was added to the article.

After Mr. Lacivita’s lawyers requested further retractions in January, the Daily beast removed an episode of podcast entitled “How did the director of the Trump campaign $ 22 million?”? from its platforms.

Mark Geragos, a lawyer for Mr. Lacivita, said that the daily beast should have investigated and follow the money before publishing lies to get clicks and push their political agenda “.

The Daily beast declared in a declaration that the outlet was with her relationships on Mr. Lacivita.

“His cause is without deserves and a transparent attempt to intimidate the beast and silence the independent press,” says the declaration. “The beast will defend itself vigorously and can’t wait to follow the money to confirm where each penny flowed in the LLC of Lacivita”

The cause is the last recent request for defamation and other legal actions that Trump and his allies presented against news and journalists whose coverage support was misleading or inaccurate.

Mr. Trump, for example, has exceptional causes against News of the CBSThe des Moines register, the CNN and the group that rewards the Pulitzer prizes. Even the councilors of Mr. Trump have repeatedly threatened or archived These legal causes. Recently Friday, Elon Musk He warned that one was “incoming” after a former deputy criticized him on television.

The actions and legal threats coincided with the efforts of the Trump administration to limit traditional news organizations. The White House has limited The access of the Associated Press to the President. Federal Communications Commission is investigation broadcasters. And Mr. Trump and the allies like Mr. Musk recovered against news and individual journalists, also from falsely claim who are the government’s propaganda clothes.

To win legal actions of defamation, public characters such as Mr. Trump and Mr. Lacivita must demonstrate that the defendants knew that what they were writing was false or acted with reckless contempt for his precision. That high bar was erected in a series of precedents of the Supreme Court that Mr. Trump and his allies are pushing to overturn.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button