Sport

Vikings GM Kwesi adofo-quensih talks aaron rodgers, jj mcCarthy: what we haved


Eagan, Minn. – General Manager of Minnesota Vikings Sidofo-quiveh has held a press conference Wednesday at the Tco Performance Center. Although his team had distributed almost $ 300 million in contracts of free agents in recent weeks, most of the questions relating to the quarterback position.

It was a few weeks of rich weeks on that front. First, Sam Darnold starts For the Seattle Seahawks in the free agency. So Daniel Jones decided He preferred the colts’ Open the competition to that of the Vikings. Presented with the information that Aaron Rodgers preferred minnesota as an optionThe Vikings have discussed for a long time whether or not to pursue the quarterback veteran.

In the end, Minnesota opted For now you are the courseGoing forward with the 22 -year -old JJ McCarthy. McCarthy was interviewed For the first time in months on Tuesday on “Up & Adams Show”, and said that the Vikings had not officially appointed him the appetizer. Neither Adofo-Mecenh nor the leader Kevin O’Connell had publicly talked about their conversations in recent weeks. Adofo-quiveh changed Wednesday.

The general manager, who, unlike O’Connell, has not yet signed an extension of the contract, spoke for almost 20 minutes. Here are the five largest takeaways:

The Vikings want McCarthy to be the appetizer

Is McCarthy Qb1? This, in essence, was the first question asked to adofo-quiveh. The GM mentioned the expense resources to draw up McCarthy and said: “This is the result we want. And this is the result we headed for”.

McCarthy, Adofo-Mecendo said, “passed expectations” in every point of last year before tearing his meniscus. If McCarthy had not injured the knee, the Vikings had planned to give him more representatives of the first team in subsequent joint practices. McCarthy will receive many opportunities this spring and in the summer and Adofo-quensih claims to be at ease with the uncertainty that derives from engaging with a player who has not yet played an NFL shot of the regular season.

“I understand that this is a position in which people want see him First of all, “said Adofo-Comceh of Quarterback.” You don’t always have this opportunity. You have to go to what you know. “

Adofo-quiveh has never been shy on how his background in commercial goods model his decision-making process. You are making predictions, he often says, based on the information you have available at the time. With McCarthy, Adofo-Mecendo said that the Vikings are “betting on his preparation, the person, talent”.

“I think we are enthusiastic about where it is,” said Adofo-quensih. “We will continue to learn the information regarding. At that time we will make the decision (official starter) (we feel comfortable).”

O’Connell has had “many conversations” with Rodgers in recent weeks

Adofo-quiveh was asked if he or O’Connell spoke directly with Rodgers. Adofo-quiveh cited O’Connell’s relationship with Rodgers, saying: “They had many conversations. (O’Connell) made us go around.”

O’Connell’s connections within the quarterback community are in depth. He played in the state of San Diego in the early 2000s and, after his career in the NFL, he privately trained the Quarterback together with George Whitfield Jr. O’Connell also starting from Elite 11, an annual competition that shows some of the best quarterback of the high school of the nation.

He was Tom Brady’s teammate. Study drafts of prospects every year. Rodgers, 41, has a similar age and both come from the western coast. Both Rodgers and O’Connell are first represented by athletes.

Adofo-quiveh said that O’Connell’s conversations with Rodgers stimulated other meetings around the building. Many members of the Front Office and coaching staff were intrigued by the possibility of adding Rodgers, whose name had appeared as part of countless scenarios in front of Free Agency, according to Adofo-Meceh.

“It is a new thing to talk about a player of that caliber,” said Adofo-Mecenh. “They are always someone who wants to learn and grow alone, so being involved in those dialogues was very special.”

The Vikings are not completely closing the door on Rodgers

Adofo-quiveh had multiple possibilities to close the door on Rodgers becoming a possible signature. He did not do it.

“For me sit here and say that everything is 100 % forever, it is not the job,” said Adofo-quensih. “We are responding to different scenarios and information as they come. Things can change.”

The Vikings who choose to go on with McCarthy, Brett Rypien and probably another quarterback veteran leave the situation in a relatively comfortable point. Rodgers can Signature with Pittsburgh Steelersretire or wait. Minnesota will evaluate McCarthy’s progress in the coming weeks and months, and if something pushes the Vikings to reconsider their plans, Rodgers cannot be completely excluded.

Adofo-quiveh reiterated his belief in the quarterback currently on the roster. McCarthy, he said, passed every test “with flying colors”. The Vikings also have the 28 -year -old Rypien, who arrived at the last pre -host.

The Vikings are still on the market for a veteran to taste

Why didn’t the Vikings have added a veteran quarterback? A probable explanation is the pursuit by the team of multiple compensatory choices in 2026. If the Vikings sign a quarterback to a quite large salary, they could lose one of those extra choices.

Following the draft of the NFL, however, the signatures no longer take into account the formula of compensatory choice. So, the Vikings could wait. They may always acquire a potential backup quarterback through trade or sign one for a minor agreement.

A player like Ryan Tannehill, who has the same McCarthy agent, could prefer a more considerable deal than, for example, a Drew block. The Joe Flacco market could also rise to the level of elimination of the compensatory advantage of the Vikings. Adofo-quiveh highlighted these dynamics as part of an response on the addition of another to taste.

Of course, waiting more than a month also gives Vikings more time to evaluate McCarthy’s progress.

There was a “positive dialogue” on a potential extension of the contract

The Vikings have not extended Adofo-Tensceh and his contract will expire after the 2025 season. This means that, starting from Wednesday evening, that Adofo-quensih was a month after a draft process for a team that is not currently a contract to guide beyond this season.

O’Connell signed his new agreement in January and a team source said that interviews were currently underway between Adofo-quensih and Vikings. The general manager said on Wednesday that he does not think about the prospect of a new “very” agreement.

“I wake up every morning trying to make sure that the Vikings arrive at the final goal in which I want us to arrive,” said Adofo-Mecenh. “Someone will do it (he will ask) of passage and call (agent) Jimmy (Sexton) to see how he is going.”

Adofo-quensih described the negotiations between Sexton and the ownership of the team as “positive dialogue”. The fact that O’Connell had already been extended has not disturbed him, he said, and it was also adamant that being currently under contract for only one more season would not have influenced his decision -making process or his planning.

“If you spend time with me every day, I’m not perfect,” he said. “I have my defects. But the will to do the right thing from the organization is not one of these.”

(Photo: Stacy Revere / Getty Images)





Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button